A great event for spectators! A Quick Paint is an exciting, two-hour competition for plein air painters working on location. Artists will compete for cash awards, and the competition will be immediately followed by a quick sale! Browse and buy fresh, new paintings by up to 100 regional and national artists!
Event Location: Hannah Park, downtown Traverse City (next door to Crooked Tree Arts Center)
Artist check-in: 12:30-1:30pm
Painting time: 1:30-3:30pm
Awards announcement and quick sale: 4:00-5:00pm
Register to join our 36 featured artists for an afternoon of artistry, awards, and sales!
- Register before August 1: $20.00 (free for Artist Guild Members*)
- Register between August 1-16: $25.00 for all registrants (no Artist Guild discount)
- Walk-on registration on event day: $30.00 for all registrants (no Artist Guild discount)
*Artist Guild members: if registering online, you must log in with your Crooked Tree Arts Center account to get your free registration. Or, call the CTAC front desk at 231-941-9488 to register by phone. Interested in becoming an Artist Guild member? Click here to join.
Or call (231) 941-9488 to register by phone.
Registration fee is non-refundable; there is no rain date. In the event that our event is cancelled due to weather or another unavoidable circumstance, your registration fee will be converted to a tax-deductible donation to Crooked Tree Arts Center.
Awards and Competition Rules
Who will participate: up to 100 artists, including approximately 40 PGT featured artists and up to 60 open division artists.
Number of pieces: 1
Painting time: 2 hours
Juror(s): Ken Cadwallader, OPAM, AIS
- Canvas/paper will be stamped at check-in.
- Pieces on paper should be matted. Pieces on board or canvas do not need to be framed.
- Maximum size: 24" on longest side.
- All painting media are welcome.
- Paintings must begin on a blank white or toned background.
- Artwork must be signed.
- Work must be created solely by the artist and done completely from life.
- Work must remain on display until the conclusion of the event.
- Pick up: unsold works must picked up on-site, immediately following the event. Abandoned artwork will become property of Crooked Tree Arts Center.
Sale event: an awards presentation and quick sale will immediately follow. This event is free and open to the public. Artists will use their own easels for the outdoor display and sale.
- Artists set the prices. Crooked Tree Arts Center will retain a 40% commission. The minimum retail price is $200.
- CTAC staff will process sales; checks will be mailed to artists on or before September 30, 2022.
- Prices are non-negotiable.
- Selling artwork outside of the Paint Grand Traverse event is discouraged and contrary to the spirit of the event.
Award and Prize Values: $500 Best of Show; $400 Best of Open Division; $400 Best of Featured Division; additional awards TBA.